Vancouver Marina is fully committed to the conservation and preservation of our natural marine environment. While we have always been proactive with our environmental responsibilities and initiatives, Vancouver Marina has taken environmental policy and procedure to a new level in the last year under the guidance of The Georgia Strait Alliance (GSA) ‘Clean Marine BC’ program. We are continually amazed by the diversity of wildlife here on the Fraser River, and in the context of our urban setting, we understand the need to do everything we can to protect and preserve it.
About Clean Marine BC
Clean Marine BC is an environmental recognition program for marinas and boatyards in the province. This program was developed by the GSA in 2007, and now serve as an environmental beacon for an ever growing number of marine businesses throughout the province. With the aid of the ‘Marina Best Practices Handbook,’ Clean Marine BC has provided the marina with an amazingly comprehensive foundation to further develop and improve our environmental policy and procedure.
The program gives marine businesses an intrinsic incentive to take positive environmental action by delineating environmental processes, providing volumes of informational direction and resources, and working together with the organization to improve efficiency and make a difference.
Here’s a link to the Clean Marine site:
Vancouver Marina places an emphasis on several areas of environmental concern including:
- recycling and compost
- specialized waste management (including oil products and hazardous waste)
- yard and storm water management
- extensive spill protection procedures + training
We take great care to dispose of all waste and recycled materials separately, even if it means sorting items such as glass, steal, and aluminum by hand. We have dedicated disposal facilities for:
- old gas and diesel fuel
- fuel and oil filters
- absorbent products
- miscellaneous hazardous waste
Environmental Goals – 2017
- Develop & install infrastructure for sewage pump-out.
- Ensure boaters are using eco-friendly cleaning products for their boats.
- Continue to educate our guests about the importance of our marine environment, and provide knowledge and tools to aid in the protection of it.